ponedjeljak, 16. studenoga 2015.

50's Period Hair Practice

I practiced on my doll head at home. I can't practice on the wig that I'm doing my assessment on because I had to set it and I can't take the rollers out , otherwise I would have to set it again. Although the head is smaller than my wig, I tried to put the rollers in the same direction that I did on my wig. 

I started by sectioning the front. I used plastic rollers and put a bit of styling mousse on each section of the hair. Since there wasn't any heat used, I needed something to help me shape the curls. I used three sizes of rollers. Smallest (orange) were put on the fringe and the sides, medium (pink) on top of the head and at the nape of the neck. The largest rollers (red) covered the rest of the hair. 
I've put the rollers on top sideways only because that is how I've put them on my wig. I used bricwork at the back and pinned the rollers in so they don't fall out.
I wasn't sure whether or not I will have enough rollers to cover the entire head so I used slightly larger sections. 

Rollers on the side, and top of the head - from the back
Rollers on the side, and top of the head - from the front
Rollers from the back
All  rollers in - from the back



I left the rollers in for a few hours, then blowdryed the hair just in case it was still wet in any places. Using a rounded brush I brushed the hair, then took two sections at the front to create victory rolls. I rolled in the sections with my fingers and pinned them.

Victory rolls - first try
Brushing out the hair


Then I took out the pins and tried to create nicer looking rolls. This time I backcombed the hair and used hairspray and they turned out a lot better. 

Victory rolls - second try

I added two rolls, one on each side, just to see how it would look. But I took them out, I didn't like the look of them so I decided to stick with only two victory rolls.

Side roll

I want to incorporate a bandana into my final look. Bandanas and scarves were used a lot in the 50's, mainly to keep the hair out of the way. I think this red one that I have would suit the look quite well and help the hairstyle look more like the popular 50's rockabilly hairstyles.

I've tried out three different looks with the bandana, not changing the victory rolls.

1st Look:

For this look I simply pinned the hair at the back and covered it with a bandana. I made the sides look nice and smooth and tucked all the hair under the bandana. Then I secured it with some hair grips and tied a bow (knot) at the top. 

1st look - front
1st look - back
Close up of the victory rolls


2nd Look:

Here I started by backcombing the back of the head to get more volume. Then I took the sides and pinned everything at the back. I brushed the hair that was left at the back inwards and added the bandana. 

Hair backcombed and sides pinned 
Hair at the back brushed - one side
Hair at the back burshed - other side
Front
Adding the bandana
Adding the bandana

3rd Look

I wanted to make this third look a lot more relaxed so I took all the pins out and brushed it first. Then pinned the sides again and shook the head and got this big voluminous look. I finished the look by tying the bandana the same way I did for the previous look.

Loose curls
Loose curls
From above
All looks created on: Nov 16 2015


I will definitely use the bandana for my final look. I think I will do a similar hairstyle to the second one, but I'd pin the hair at the back so that the curls are coming out of the bandana. I need to try this out though before friday.

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar